Bethlehem. Street scene. (Street leading to the Church of the Nativity). editing/sookietex More about this image and story at Public Domain Clip Art - http://publicdomainclip-art.blogspot.com/2010/12/street-leading-to-church-of-nativity.html
The Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem is one of the oldest continuously operating churches in the world. The structure is built over the cave that tradition marks as the birthplace of Jesus.
Hand-colored photographs of Jerusalem and Palestine. Creator(s): American Colony (Jerusalem). Photo Dept., photographer. Date Created/Published: 1919. LC-DIG-ppmsca-18417-00003 (digital file from original
Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
Photographs were created by the photographers of the American Colony Photo Department, located in Jerusalem. Founded in the late 1890s by Elijah Meyers, the photo agency was headed during its heyday (ca. 1903-1933) by Lewis Larsson, whose staff photographers included Erik Lind, Lars Lind, Furman Baldwin, and G. Eric Matson. It transitioned into the Matson Photo Service around 1940, with photography by Matson, Hanna Safieh, Joseph H. Giries, and others. John D. Whiting contributed periodically to the work of both agencies.