Part of: Visual materials from the papers of John D. Whiting. Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-18417 (digital files of original photos) LC-DIG-ppmsca-18416 (digital files of album pages)
Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
Access Advisory: For reference access, please use the digital images in the online catalog to preserve the fragile original items. Call Number: LOT 13846 (H) (USE DIGITAL IMAGES) [P&P] Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
* Photographs were created by the photographers of the American Colony Photo Department, located in Jerusalem. Founded in the late 1890s by Elijah Meyers, the photo agency was headed during its heyday (ca. 1903-1933) by Lewis Larsson, whose staff photographers included Erik Lind, Lars Lind, Furman Baldwin, and G. Eric Matson. It transitioned into the Matson Photo Service around 1940, with photography by Matson, Hanna Safieh, Joseph H. Giries, and others. John D. Whiting contributed periodically to the work of both agencies. For more information see: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/matpc/ and http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/coll/629_whiting.html.
* Photographs in album are uncaptioned. Captions based on similar images in the G. Eric and Edith Matson Photograph Collection.
* Most of the photographs are hand-colored.
* Blind stamp in bottom right corner on most photographs: American Colony, Jerusalem.
* Inscription on first page of album: "To our precious Mother with love from all her children, Christmas, 1919." "Mother" is probably Anna Spafford, leader of the American Colony.
* LOT title devised by Library staff.
* Album unpaginated, album page numbers supplied by Library staff. Verso of each page is blank.
* John D. Whiting's diaries, correspondence, and other materials are located in the Library of Congress Manuscript Division (Papers of John D. Whiting).
* Forms part of: Visual materials from the papers of John D. Whiting.
* Transfer; Manuscript Division; 2006; (DLC/PP-2006:051:30)