Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Santa Claus Making Deliveries

IF only I were Santa Claus and you were still a boy, I'd find the chimney to your heart and fill it full of joy;

On Christmas Eve when all was still and you were fast asleep , Much like your Santa Claus of old unto your bed I'd creep.

And in the pack upon my back all shining, bright and new I would have gathered everything to help and comfort you.

I'd tiptoe round about your life as Santa round a bed, Until with happiness and peace I knew your path was spread.

WERE there a single line of care upon your kindly face I'd find the cause that marked it there and banish every trace. I'd fill your breast with songs of love, your face

I'd deck with smiles And roses red should mark your path for miles and miles and miles;

And as I looked into your heart, while you so soundly slept, I'd find the hidden closet where your dearest hopes are kept,

The sacred dreams of long ago, the deeds you hoped to do And one and all, before I left, I'd realise for you.

О tawdry gift of tinsel cheap would ever I bestow, With joy your eyes should wake to smile, with health your cheeks should glow;

I'd search the corners of your heart where all your griefs are stored. And in the morning bright you'd find that on them I had poured.


The oil of consolation sweet and changed their stings to be The hallowed and the precious calm of sainted memory.

I'd make of you a happy friend, I'd robe you with content, I'd strew your counterpane with joys that night before I went.

This Image (or other media file) is in the public domain because its copyright has expired. This applies to the United States, where Works published prior to 1923 are copyright protected for a maximum of 75 years. See Circular 1 "COPYRIGHT BASICS" PDF from the U.S. Copyright Office. Works published before 1923 in this case c1911, are now in the public domain.

TEXT and IMAGE CREDIT: If only I were Santa Claus Author: Edgar Albert Guest. Publisher: T.P. Henry, 1914. Original from: the University of Michigan. Digitized: Sep 9, 2009. Subjects: Poetry › American › General. American poetry / Poetry / American / General Poetry / Anthologies / Santa Claus.

No comments:

Post a Comment