|Digital ID: gsc 5a24399 Source: intermediary roll film Reproduction Number: LC-G613-T-68977 (interpositive) Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA Retrieve uncompressed archival TIFF version (222 kilobytes). Unedited jpg|
[P&P] REPRODUCTION NUMBER: LC-G613-T-68977 (interpositive) No known restrictions on publication. MEDIUM: 1 negative : safety ; 4x5 in. CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1956 Apr. 20.
PART OF: Gottscho-Schleisner Collection (Library of Congress), REPOSITORY: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. DIGITAL ID: (intermediary roll film) gsc 5a24399 hdl.loc.gov/gsc.5a24399. CARD #: gsc1994006120/PP
Architecture and Interior Design for 20th Century America: Photographs by Samuel Gottscho and William Schleisner, 1935-1955. Images in this collection have been placed in the public domain by the heirs of the photographers.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Gottscho-Schleisner Collection [please cite the reproduction number, LC-G613-T-68977]
MARC Record Line 540 - No known restrictions on publication.
United Nations Headquarters From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United Nations Headquarters is a distinctive complex in New York City that has served as the headquarters of the United Nations since its completion in 1950. It is located in the Turtle Bay neighborhood, on the east side of Midtown Manhattan, on spacious grounds overlooking the East River. Though it is in New York City, the land occupied by the United Nations Headquarters is considered international territory, and its borders are First Avenue west, East 42nd Street south, East 48th Street north and the East River east. FDR Drive passes underneath the Conference Building of the complex.
The United Nations Headquarters were constructed in New York City in 1949 and 1950 beside the East River, on seventeen acres of land purchased from the foremost New York real estate developer of the time, William Zeckendorf. This purchase was arranged by Nelson Rockefeller, after an initial offer of placing it on the Rockefeller family estate of Kykuit was rejected as being too isolated from Manhattan. The $8.5 million purchase was then funded by his father, John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who donated it to the City. The lead architect for the building was the real estate firm of Wallace Harrison, the personal architectural adviser for the family.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article, United Nations Headquarters
Technorati tags: Public Domain Clip Art and clip art or public domain and United Nations Headquarters Building or New York City and Library of Congress or Presidential Podcast 09/22/07 and Empire State Building and Superbugs, shapes and nanotechnology