Tuesday, July 02, 2013

The Battle of Gettysburg Day 2

Title: The battle of Gettysburg Date Created/Published: N.Y. : Published by Thomas Kelly, 264 Third Avenue, between 22nd & 23rd St., c1867 (N.Y. : Printed by Wm. C. Robertson, 59 Cedar St.) Medium: 1 print : lithograph, hand-colored.

Summary: Print showing Union troops advancing from the right during fighting at the battle of Gettysburg. Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-pga-03235 (digital file from original print, color) LC-DIG-pga-02506 (digital file from original print. b&w) LC-USZ62-13198 (b&w film copy neg. of color impression)

Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.

This Image (or other media file) is in the public domain because its copyright has expired. This applies to the United States, where Works published prior to 1923 are copyright protected for a maximum of 75 years. See Circular 1 "COPYRIGHT BASICS" PDF from the U.S. Copyright Office. Works published before 1923, in this case c1867, are now in the public domain.

The Battle of Gettysburg Day 2

Call Number: PGA - Robertson (Wm. C.)--Battle of Gettysburg (D size) [P&P] PGA - Robertson (Wm. C.)--Battle of Gettysburg Another impression, b&w. Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA.

Notes: Title from item. Caption continues: Respectfully dedicated to the Soldiers of the United States. Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1867 by Thomas Kelly in the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the southern District of N. York. Library has two impressions, one hand-colored and one b&w. Copyright statement taken from b&w impression. Tear in upper right corner of b&w impression with minor loss to image.

Throughout the evening of July 1 and morning of July 2, most of the remaining infantry of both armies arrived on the field, including the Union II, III, V, VI, and XII Corps. Longstreet's third division, commanded by Maj. Gen. George Pickett, had begun the march from Chambersburg early in the morning; it did not arrive until late on July 2. The Union line ran from Culp's Hill southeast of the town, northwest to Cemetery Hill just south of town, then south for nearly two miles along Cemetery Ridge, terminating just north of Little Round Top.

Image edited by sookietex. Unedited image

No comments:

Post a Comment